13 December 2011

On a More Serious Note

Today's choice came quickly, unlike several previous posts. In my 7th grade classes, we are discussing the issue of homelessness as a precursor to reading Jerry Spinelli's Maniac Magee. A few years ago my lovely wife put together a PowerPoint presentation of still photos and statistics regarding the homeless and synchronized it to "Another Day in Paradise" by Phil Collins. We then watched a 60 Minutes report and discussed how poverty and homelessness affects kids and members of our own communities. Tying it in to the school's Penny Wars fundraiser--our Sub for Santa project this year was perfect.

Watching the video(s) helps put things into perspective this holiday season.

If you would like to see the Ppt., email me or leave a comment, and I'll send it to you.
If you'd like to help out the school's fundraiser to assist kids that attend this school (and their families), and frankly it hasn't gone well this year, likewise let me know.

1 comment:

  1. I'm impressed. I guess this means no late night trip through old school hip hop videos tonight? Ree chick a chick chick

    ReplyDelete

I think I'll post a little writing every so often...some polished...some rough. And I welcome any comments or criticisms or cupcakes you care to throw my way.