20 December 2011

Bring Me Poetry Revisited (Not a Video)

Those who are expecting a music video, please tune in later. This is a poem. However, I would probably handsomely reward anyone who turned it into a rock anthem. Or maybe a club remix with extra back beats. The possibilities are endless...for those who have spare time.

This week my students are working with figurative language, as well as looking at life through different points of view. So I decided to have them write a collection of "Bring Me" poems. I stole this idea from my good friend Andria when she presented at the CUWP Summer Institute 2009. She took them from Susan Goldsmith Wooldridge's book Poemcrazy. I've posted about this before back in October of 2009. If you are unfamiliar with my "Ode to My Dorito Crumbs," check it out. You might sense a running theme. But, anyway, here is today's "Bring Me" for your pleasure (cough cough):


“Plea to the Lonely Fruit Chew I Found This Morning”

Smooshed orange Starburst
lying in melted graying snow puddles,
protected from the yellow
bellowing monstrosities
but
trampled by the feet of exuberance,
Shake off
the rogue spruce needle
and the remnants
of dirt-caked soles,
and
Bring me the story
of your pocket escape,
of disappointment,
of the child
whose mouth you will
not tempt
during first period U.S. history
when texts and lectures and mouths
become dry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I think I'll post a little writing every so often...some polished...some rough. And I welcome any comments or criticisms or cupcakes you care to throw my way.