06 December 2012

Something a Little More Manly

Well, it looks like my procrastinating habits of last December are already upon me.  So much for planning ahead.  Oh, well. It just fits with today's theme.  It's a guy thing for the most part--just go with the flow and see what happens.  And that's how I roll...well...more like a hoagie roll.  Today's entree comes from a blog my wife found one night as I was talking about steak sandwiches.  She says it was called the Red-headed Hostess (she thinks), but I don't know because I've never been on it.  And not to be mean, but I don't really care.  The site called them Man Sandwiches, which is kind of a dumb name, but that didn't stop me...and it never will when it comes to food.

I don't know the exact portions for the recipe because I manipulate it and play with flavors.  But here is the list of ingredients and a few steps to follow.

- Flat roast sliced into thin strips.  (You can substitute roast beef from the deli.)
- Diced red pepper.  (Green, yellow, and orange change up the flavor but are all good substitutes.)
- Diced onion.  (This time I used yellow--it's what I had--but red or white give the meal a different flavor.)
- Block of pepper jack cheese. (The smaller you cube the cheese--not cut the cheese--the quicker it melts.)
- Fresh mushrooms (These aren't in the original recipe, but I love adding fresh mushies.)

Cook the steak/beef with the onion and pepper until veggies are soft.  Inhale deeply as you stir.  Add a dash of black pepper if you like.  If you want variation, throw in some jalapenos or banana peppers, too.  Add the cheese.  Stir until its melted like a popsicle on an August afternoon--sticky all over everything.  You could add a touch of hot sauce for more manly fun.  Play with the proportions until you get it just the way you like it.  At this point, you can't do much to ruin it.

Man Sandwich Fixins (Naked)

Serve on a hoagie roll.  Toss on a couple of freshly sliced tomatoes if you start feeling guilty about all that meat you are about to shove down your gob.  You might be tempted to eat it straight out of the pan with your stirring utensil, but Amy says that's bad manners.

All gussied up.
This time mine were served with Salsa con Queso Cheetos, apple slices, and a Henry Weinhardt's vanilla cream soda (bonus picture).  This was actually my birthday lunch this year.  Mmmm...

P.S.  If anyone ever wants to try these, I'll make them for you (as long as you buy the ingredients and let me have some).

2 comments:

  1. Maybe when you retire from teaching, you'll open a restaurant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's going to be called Fatty's or Eat at Joe's. Only over-sized portions allowed. Your arteries start clogging when the aroma hits you in the face upon entering the lobby.

    ReplyDelete

I think I'll post a little writing every so often...some polished...some rough. And I welcome any comments or criticisms or cupcakes you care to throw my way.