08 December 2012

Holy Guacamole, Batman!

Yep.  Tonight's entry is the green goodness itself, guacamole.  I remember the very first time I ever tried the heavenly mixture.  I was 7 or 8, living in Las Vegas.  My parents were getting ready to go to a party of some kind.  I went into the kitchen to protest the parental units' choice of babysitter--picture something like a Calvin and Hobbes cartoon.  Dad was stirring something in  green Tupperware bowl, similar to the one we kids used as a sick catcher on those not-so-sunshiny days.  When I looked in it, there was a mass of green and red, and I thought my dad was stirring somebody's vomit.  To get me to shut up, or get out of the kitchen, or to educate me in the finer things of life, I don't know.  I just remember a Ruffle (with ridges) shoved into my mouth.  Instant conversion.  Note: my dad did this to me on several occasions with new foods when I was younger.  I vividly remember one other--fried mushrooms--but that's another story.  Uncle Lonnie tried to do that to me with a jalapeno when I was two.  Mom wasn't happy.  Now I have an iron stomach.  I think I won.
Small bowl of green heaven on earth.

Enough of my ramble.  There are many ways to make guac well.  As long as you have the right ingredients, you shouldn't mess it up too badly.

You need avocados (duh!).  I like to add diced tomato, lime (or lemon) juice, salt, and cumin.  Every once in a while (when my wife won;t be eating too much of it, I'll trow in some red onion or some bacon.  Be careful with the bacon, though.  You don;t really need salt if you add bacon.

Experiment, test the proportions until you find a combination you like.  Some people add sour cream or mayonnaise. Personally, I think those dilute the taste of the avocado, but that's just me.

Guac is good as a dip, as a spread, on salads, sandwiches, or sometimes just by the spoonful!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I think I'll post a little writing every so often...some polished...some rough. And I welcome any comments or criticisms or cupcakes you care to throw my way.