26 December 2012

Oh, Yeah...I Blog...Kind Of

Santa needed a little more help than I thought the past few nights, so now I get to play catch up.  I know I've let the few of you readers down, but I promise I'm still going to post one food post per day this month.  Each day might not have one, but there will eventually be one for each day of December (31).

To kick off my repentance process, I'm going to showcase the other white meat done south-of-the-border cycle.  This is a variation on the Mexican pork recipe from the Better bites cookbook that I've referenced earlier.  I'm not going to post the exact recipe because I changed it.

Start by rubbing about four pounds of pork shoulder with a healthy dose of Kosher salt, black pepper, chili powder, and onion powder.  Sear it in a pan (with olive oil).  Put it in a crockpot  with a mixture of enchilada sauce (about two cans), salsa (maybe 1/2-3/4 cup), brown sugar (2/3-1 cup), a bit of Worchester sauce, and a couple swallows of apple juice (cranapple also works).  Cook it on low for at least 7 hours.  I let this one go for about 9 1/2.  Then shred it.
 The way I mix the spices it's a little different each time.  More often than not it turns out better than Cafe Rio (and cheaper, too).

Add whatever fixings you want.  We like to eat it burrito style with pineapple rice (just add crushed pineapple and lime juice), black beans, cheese, lettuce, sour cream, guacamole, hot sauce, and all the other trimmings.  Add some homemade ranch sauce for an extra flavor bonus: mayo (not miracle whip), lime, Hidden Valley ranch packet, garlic, milk and green salsa).
Scarf!  You'll be tempted to inhale, but don't forget to chew!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I think I'll post a little writing every so often...some polished...some rough. And I welcome any comments or criticisms or cupcakes you care to throw my way.