14 December 2012

Creme de Menthe Bars

So, is the lull in viewers due to the fact that the past entries aren't sweet enough?  Regardless of the reason, I've decided to include this holiday treat that is so extremely awesome that my mom had to limit my brothers and I to only one per day.  (Yeah...like that really happened.  Sorry, Mom.)

I don't remember when she started making these, but it was sometime when I was a kid.  I don;t remember this lady she got the recipe from either.  Oh, well.  I still remember how they taste because I've only had four today.  I brought a plate to share at lunch, and they were gone quicker than Twinkies when Hostess announced they were done for.  In fact, one colleague told me that these should be today;s post.  Thanks for taking the picture, Katrina.
Marc and I would eat one of these before and after seminary every morning when they were in the house.
Creme de Menthe Bars recipe originally from RaShell King
(Everyone else calls them mint brownies.  Do not confuse these with the signature item from BYU catering services.  They are different, but just as addicting.)

1/2 c. butter
1 c. sugar
4 beaten eggs
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. flour
1 lb. can of Hershey syrup (chocolate, duh!)
     Warning: this is not the same as the squeeze syrup for making chocolate milk; it's different)
1/2 c. butter (yes, again)
2 c. confectioner sugar
4 T. creme de menthe (1 t. mint flavoring)
6 T. butter
1 c. chocolate chips

Cream 1/2 c. butter and granulated sugar.
Add eggs, salt, flour, and syrup; blend.
Pour into greased 9"x13" pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes; cool.
Mix 1/2 c. butter, powdered sugar, and mint until smooth.
Spread on base, refrigerate for one hour.
Melt chocolate chips and 6 T. butter and spread on top.
Keep refrigerated.
This is what remained after 5 minutes at lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I think I'll post a little writing every so often...some polished...some rough. And I welcome any comments or criticisms or cupcakes you care to throw my way.