10 December 2012

Que Viva La Tortilla Española!

One of my favorite parts of serving a mission in Andalucia (apart from the actual missionary work) was the food.  Every so often I get a hankerin' (Payson word) for some Spanish grub.  The Tortilla de Patata is one of the dishes commonly made and individualized by every little Maria in her own kitchen.  I can't begin to quantify the number of tortillas I've consumed, let alone the varieties I've sampled.  So tonight's recipe is a basic recipe.  The add-ins again are according to your taste (Are you starting to see how I roll?), so I'll just mention some possibilities toward the end.

Before I start, everyone and his dog--rat dogs are perfect for punting, by the way--will argue about the ratio between potato and egg.  Again, I say this is a basic recipe.  Adjust it to your liking.


These tortillas have bacon, green pepper, and green onions.
First, dice 5-6 medium sized potatoes and leave them to soak in salt water for a while.  Then fry the taters in olive oil until the insides are soft and the outsides are just starting to develop a slight crispiness.  Set them to the side in a bowl.  Beat 6 eggs in a separate bowl.  Add more salt (about a pinch).  Pour the egg mixture over the potatoes.  Stir until taters are completely covered.  Then pour them into a 8" or 9" frying pan already hot with a generous coating of olive oil.  Keep the egg/potato mixture moving so it won't stick to the pan.  You cannot just let the food sit in the pan.  This is an active process.  Once your potato/egg has cooked about halfway through, flip it.  For those who cannot perform a full flip, it's okay to use a plate to assist you in completely turning the concoction over (without breaking it).  Finish cooking the outsides.  If there is a little runniness on the inside, it's perfect.  You can serve it hot or cold, for whichever meal you want.  It also makes a good snack by itself.

Varieties include adding onions (white, yellow, or red) or peppers (any variety).  These are best added while frying the potatoes.  Green onion, diced tomato, bacon, chorizo (when you can find some good stuff), or just about anything else you can imagine recreates flavor.  So have fun when you experiment.  Most true Spanish tortillas are served plain or with just one addition.

As far as condiments go, you don't need any.  However, you could dip or spread whatever suits your mood.  A Sevillan favorite was garlic mayo.  Wimps use ketchup.  A tortilla can be a snack or served as a meal...or part of one.

If you find yourself still questioning, just ask about anyone I've served this to how riquísimo the sabor is.

Yes, my Andaluces, I know I didn't do justice in describing the process.  The true art of preparing a tortilla can only be mastered through apprenticeship, as I, myself, have had several pupils.

Que aproveches!

P.S.  I was asked to provide a vegetarian dish.  This is about as close as I come...maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I think I'll post a little writing every so often...some polished...some rough. And I welcome any comments or criticisms or cupcakes you care to throw my way.