28 December 2010

Young Consumers

The season of Christmas TV specials has finally limped off into the sunset, and I, personally, couldn't be happier. No, I really like watching the Grinch's heart grow to the point where the Whos invite him to carve the roast beast. (I've often wondered what the beast tastes like.) Rudolph and Frosty, although cheesy, are classics. But it's those darn commercials that pop up every three and a half minutes that chap my hide. Even little Brook complained, "Mom, please turn it (the show) back on." She didn't want the loud, obnoxious advertisements either. I am thankful for children who are becoming educated (and somewhat critical) consumers.

Case in point: on our way to run a few errands, i.e. spend gift cards, we drove past RC Willey. As we hit the speed bumps in front of the store, Zac blurted, "Your home, your way. That's about the stupidest thing I've ever heard." He continued, "I've heard it, like, a thousand times on TV. It's like their motto or something." He has gone beyond catchy jingles. Nice. Now we just have to get Ally to stop whining about putting something else on NEXT year's list every time she watches TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I think I'll post a little writing every so often...some polished...some rough. And I welcome any comments or criticisms or cupcakes you care to throw my way.