26 October 2009

"Quality" PIece

This exercise was hatched from a Tom Romano workshop this past Saturday. Cool idea!

Doubt called for the fourth time this morning…just to make sure. Her “ooh, just one more question, dear” sucker punched me, just as her previous three concerns had. Had she thought out my life more carefully than I had? Really? “You won’t forget to write, will you?” The apprehensions she instilled left me stammering like a seventh grader who had been caught cheating, as I shuffled my feet back and forth in the front hallway and gazed across the mist covered autumn patchwork pulled over the mountains on the horizon.

Just by the tone in her voice, I know she’s mimicking a conversation she’s just had with Guilt: “Are you sure you need to go all that way?” She prattles on. “Have you packed your toothbrush? Extra underwear?” But I’ve stopped listening to her nagging and have tuned in to the background noise of her children: Regret and Reflection beg, pull her apron strings and each other’s hair, tattling, retaliating.

“You're always welcome back,” is the last thing I hear she mumbles as I hang up. Resolution has just rung the doorbell.

But just as I turn to let him in, I look down and see that reason has sent me yet another text.

4 comments:

  1. Saturday, when people were reading their responses to the prompt, I wished more of our fellows would share. I genuinely wanted to hear what you'd written. I guess it's because of that relationship we've established with each other.

    I really like this piece. I like the way you brought in all the relatives. I did that a bit too, mine were twins, (although not identical,) Contentment and Peace. It's funny how deep that writing ended up being from such a simple prompt, isn't it?

    I like your blog! Good for you for being brave. I've got to figure out how to follow it so I can see your new posts. What a great beginning this is. Thanks for inviting us in.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job! I love the way you worked in the Fall colors. Perhaps I'll type up the one I did on Fatigue if I can work up the energy . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe:
    You have such a nack with words. Thanks for sharing. Gloria

    ReplyDelete

I think I'll post a little writing every so often...some polished...some rough. And I welcome any comments or criticisms or cupcakes you care to throw my way.