28 October 2009

3 Poems

These are the poems I mentioned in my post about writing places. There not so hot, but they were a start. The last one, is garbage, I know (It was a class assignment), but it was printed twice incorrectly, and I just want to see it the way it was written.

“Subway”
Steel centipedes
Zigzag for miles
In darkness.
The violence of graffiti grows greatest
When the drones exchange
In a high-pitched squeal
That pierces the night air.

"Subway" was the runner up in a school contest in 10th grade and subsequently published in a literary magazine in England.


“Autumn”
Amber swallows up the sun
and red reflects the sun.
A freshness is freed
and rides on the wind.
A golden age of color
arises only to die
after its brief glory.

"Autumn" was published in the newspaper my junior year of high school.


“The Sun Will Be Shining” (for graduation, 1994)

I sit and ponder—
Where am I going?

These years of change,
These years of growth
Have all come down to now.

I reflect and discover
That I am ill prepared
Or rather scared ,
For what is to come.

Did it have to come so soon?

Exponential responsibilities,
Harsh reality,
And real life
Are about to welcome me.

Can I do it?
Do I have what it takes
To survive the trials
That will shape my life?

Can the courage be found in me
To unlock the door
And step outside?

Of course,
For the storm will cease
And the sun will be shining.

Blah. I still don't like it.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, looking back on the poetry of our youth. I did it recently and my eyes were squinted for a few days from all of the cringing I did. Thanks for sharing yours! (And I am not cringing, I'll have you know.)

    ReplyDelete

I think I'll post a little writing every so often...some polished...some rough. And I welcome any comments or criticisms or cupcakes you care to throw my way.