02 December 2013

Pillow Fight!

My brother Marc and I were discussing this episode during a post-Thanksgiving dinner belly scratch, so I thought I would tackle the topic.  I've told this story many times, but this is the first attempt at putting it to paper.

One summer Saturday afternoon when I was eleven, and we were living on Yokota AFB, Japan, my parents figured I was responsible enough to watch my two younger brothers by myself.  Marc was nine, and David had just turned seven.  Mom and Dad went to the bowling alley for some kind of church social.
As I have mentioned previously, the three of us used to wrestle for fun on Sunday afternoons.  After that fad had subsided, we moved on to pillow fighting.  And here there were no holds barred.  Any pillow, any stuffed animal was fair game.  The only rule was that you couldn't stuff anything hard inside the pillowcase during the fight.  (We all know why rules have to be made.)  The fight ended when the other two surrendered.  We usually never got that far but had to stop when Mom discovered what we were doing.
But back to this particular a Saturday afternoon with no parental supervision.  I, as the eldest and biggest and strongest (I didn't even exercise), was beating the living crap out of Marc and David.  I stood atop Marc’s Superman bedspread in the far corner of the room as he and David attacked one at a time.  As soon as I would bludgeon one, the other would attack.  I would pummel him, and the process would repeat.  To this day I still wonder that they never attacked me together.  For about half an hour the cycle would repeat.  Smash.  Stagger. Smash. Stagger.
Whether I had administered the world’s first pillow concussion, or whether he finally got smart, I don’t know (and neither does he; I asked him the other day as we were reminiscing the scene), but as I would up for another plush kill shot, Marc ducked.
Definitely thrown off balance by his modified game plan, I slipped off the bed, my momentum spinning me three times in the air in one of those slower-than-life-speech-blurring- scenes where you are aware of what is about to happen but can’t do anything about it.  I crashed my head hard on the corner of a metal wall heater then collapsed to the floor.
Dazed for a few seconds, I shook it off and hauled myself to my feet.  My head didn't hurt too much, just a good knock to the noggin—not even concussion-consideration-worthy.   Then I noticed the large indentation my head had created in the metal.  Wow! I wondered how long it would be before anyone else (with authority) noticed.
And then David started shrieking like a little girl.  “You’re bleeding.  You’re gonna die!”
I reached back to feel the point of impact, and sure enough, it came back bathed in bright crimson.
I went to the bathroom mirror and noticed that the back of my neck was now red, as was my T-shirt.  It was dripping pretty quickly.  For some reason, I did not panic.  I got a spare towel (made sure it was an old one, Mom) and stuck it to my head, applying pressure because that’s what scouts who have their First Aid merit badge do.  See, kids.  Paying attention at Scout meetings pays off.
I sent Marc to fetch our neighbor Mrs. Brown, who knew how to contact Mom and Dad.  They returned swiftly, and the next thing I knew I was in the ER getting one stitch in my head.  Not too shabby.  Mom thought I would need to be numbed, but the doc said it would be easier to stitch it up right away.  And so I discovered that I have a high tolerance for sharp things in my head.  It didn't hurt a bit.
What did hurt was when I returned to have the stitch removed by the flight surgeon (or whoever was on call).  He cut the stitch, but then pulled the wrong end.  So the ginormous non-boy scout knot went first back through my scalp and into my head, and then came back out the other hole, which promptly bled into my hair for a minute or two.  Ouch!

And within a day or two my brothers and I were back at it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I think I'll post a little writing every so often...some polished...some rough. And I welcome any comments or criticisms or cupcakes you care to throw my way.