14 December 2013

I'll Take Some Original Recipe and the Register To Go, Please

            This evening we went to make Christmas deliveries and see the light display in Spanish Fork.  I was reminded of making some deliveries on Christmas Eve 1993.  I had recently been hired at Camelot Music in the St. Clair Square mall in Fairview Heights, Illinois.
            Before that I had worked at KFC in Belleville with a rough but decent crew on the night shift.  Jon and Steve worked next door at Pizza Hut.  Most of our parties were partially catered by Pepsi, Co, who owned both companies.  I still had friends who slaved for the Colonel, and I decided to drop off some cards and goodies on my way home from my new employment.  I also figured to grab a free bite because I think the manager Ana had a thing for me, and whenever I passed by, I’d get a box of wings or some “Chicken Little” sandwiches, or some potatoes and gravy, or a parfait on the house.
            But I digress.  I arrived just before the doors closed at six, and I hung out in the lobby with Ana, Stephanie, Becky, and one of the two cook named Jason.  We had a good time catching up and were rather loud about it as the store was closed.
            Suddenly, the new girl (who had replaced me) runs in screaming bloody murder.  Well, at least that’s the best cliché to describe it.  It was more like she had won the sound like an ambulance siren contest.  Yes, it was that shrill, and that deafening.
            Trying to get her to calm down, I heard some shouting and crashing in the back of the store.  The back door slammed loudly.  A few seconds later, the other manager (I forgot her name) raced into the dining room.  She was shaking uncontrollably and tears streamed down her face.  She tried speaking, but no sound came out; close to hyperventilating really.  My first aid scout instincts kicked in.  We sat her down, but she kept shaking, her perma-bangs bouncing.  Somebody shoved a Wild Cherry Pepsi into her hands.  She threw it back and instantly calmed.
            About this time the other Jason came staggering in, bobbing and weaving.  I turned and noticed that blood was coagulating in his hair and had been dripping over his flour-crusted white apron and red polo shirt.
            We jumped to our feet to steady him.  Apparently, he was out in the shed when somebody in a black ski mask attacked him.  Jason, a born scrapper, said he managed to get in one got shot to the bandit’s ribs, but then Jason got clubbed over the head with the butt of a handgun and conked out.
            Three hours and police reports in triplicate later. We pieced together that after Jason was beaten, the dude opened the back door, and held the gun to the (hysterical) manager’s head and demanded the money.  Everyone else had been out front with me when all the action occurred except for the new girl.  Luckily for the store, most of the money hadn’t been brought back to be counted yet.  He only got away with a couple hundred dollars.  No shots were fired. 
            So even though I never saw the action, I was a witness in the middle of a hold-up on Christmas Eve.  My mom didn’t believe me when she asked why I was late and hadn’t called.

Epilogue: Two days later, the new girl tipped off the police that her step-brother was the gunman.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I think I'll post a little writing every so often...some polished...some rough. And I welcome any comments or criticisms or cupcakes you care to throw my way.