12 December 2013

Holiday Poem (Bonus Entry)

This morning, for my poetry enrichment group, I planned to write holiday poems: a simple formula that I created that is a cross between a definition poem and a five-sense poem--an attempt to get kids to describe an emotional or important event by approaching it from different angles.  Only one girl showed up today, so I got to do a little writing.

This is not my personal narrative for the day. That will come later.  It is a bonus that was scratched out in three or four minutes.  It's one of those simple gems that just falls in your lap every other millennium or so.  I chose Thanksgiving because I believe it gets the shaft, especially with all the Christmas stuff (Yes, I said "stuff.") on the store shelves before Halloween.

Thanksgiving:
Relatives who have grown an inch and gained a pound
Pumpkin spice and fresh rolls with a hint of almost-burnt pastry
Dinner table conversation drowning the football announcers
Anticipation for Christmas served with a slice of pie and vanilla ice cream
Belly scratches prompted by nostalgia

Gratitude beyond the cliché.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I think I'll post a little writing every so often...some polished...some rough. And I welcome any comments or criticisms or cupcakes you care to throw my way.