08 March 2010

Request for Help

I'm asking you, my friends and half-cocked followers of this site, to please review some of the works I've posted elsewhere on this blog and use the following guide to respond to my work. I want to show students examples of how to respond appropriately to their peers' writing. They need to go beyond "LMAO" or "Cool."


Dear (First Name of Poster):

I (past tense verb showing emotion) your (post/poem/essay/letter/image...), "(Exact Title)," because... (add 2 or 3 sentences)

One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "(Quote from message.)" I think this is (adjective) because... (add 1 or 2 sentences)

Another sentence that I (past tense verb) was: "(Quote from message)." This stood out for me because...

Your (post/poem/essay/letter/image...) reminds me of something that happened to me. One time... (Add 3 or 4 sentences telling your own story.)

Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because... (add 2 or 3 sentences explaining what will bring you back to see more about this person's thoughts).

(Sign your name)

Please make a comment on this post, telling me which piece you have reviewed. Then make the comments (following the guide) on the actual post for that piece.
Thanks,
Joe


This guide (along with others) can be found under the Guide for General Discussion Response on the Youth Voices site, an awesome resource/reference/student publishing site, which Chris Sloan introduced me to at the last CUWP Saturday workshop held on February 20, 2010.

1 comment:

I think I'll post a little writing every so often...some polished...some rough. And I welcome any comments or criticisms or cupcakes you care to throw my way.