01 March 2010

Back-to-Back-to-Back Donut Jack

In my Guys Who Write Club I read "Let's Go to the Videotape" by Dan Gutman (in Guys Write for Guys Read). Then we wrote for a few minutes about an amazing sports event in which we were personally involved. Here's my extended version:


In his short “Let’s Go to the Videotape” (found in Guys Write for Guys Read), Dan Gutman states that everyone has at least one mental video tape of something they did that was incredible or unbelievable that will replay over and over and over in their minds. I disagree. I think that each of us possesses, if you will, a personal highlight reel of these amazing couldn’t-have-been-scripted events. And now, in the age where technological advances are outdated the day they’re released, we edit and re-master and restore these images brighter and better with each retelling.

One such story in which I played a role happened when I was twelve. I pitched and played first base for the Braves in the 11 and 12-year-old league on Lakenheath AFB, where I lived in England. Our team had enjoyed a fairly successful season—first place, only a handful of losses, four of us (including me) selected to the all-star team. I could spin a few more stories to relive Sandlot-esque glory, but this one is a legend.

At the beginning of the season, a donut store opened its doors beyond the left field wall. Instantly it became a team favorite. Forget juice boxes and orange slices. Boston creams and raspberry filled with powdered sugar were how we rolled after games.

For some reason, business went poorly for the shop after its opening; and to promote sales or something that I didn’t understand as a smelly, pubescent ballplayer, they started a promotion that I will never forget: if your ball hits the store during a live game, not BP, not a pick-up game, but rather a live game, you got a baker’s dozen of your choice. In my mind it was simple: homer to left equals free donuts.

I don’t remember the score of this particular game late in the season, but we were absolutely demolishing the opposing team. They were on their fourth or fifth pitcher of the game and we kept pounding out the hits. I was hitting clean-up and already had a handful of RBIs. We had two runners on and our number three hitter (I think it was Sam), jacked a line-drive over the left field wall and tagged the base of the donut store. We were elated! Free donuts! Then I stepped up and drilled the next pitch smack off the wall of the donut shop. Our next hitter (Matt?) proceeded to show us all up by cranking his shot to the roof of the shop. The fans went nuts. I think the game was called after that, but who knows? We were busy celebrating and piling on top of each other on home plate before he rounded third. Only twelve-year-olds would celebrate 39 free donuts more than winning the league championship.

Every spring I get the itch to take BP or play long toss, even though I’m more of a “ball player than an athlete,” to borrow a phrase from John Kruk. Without fail, as my kids start warming up for their T-ball games and I fill out the line-ups, I start to relive the “glory days” of my ten-year baseball career. And the back-to-back-to-back donut jack will forever hold a permanent spot on my highlight reel.

2 comments:

  1. Baseball makes the best kind of memories. Did the donut shop pay up? And did you share your fortune with the rest of the team?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Joe

    I enjoyed your post "Back-to-Back-to Back Donut Jack," because it made me smile. I could understand the desire to have those donuts--and I could see the 12-year-old mind at work: nothing better than those donuts, not even a win. You have to be 12 to get that.

    One sentence you wrote that stands out for me is: "Forget juice boxes and orange slices. Boston creams and raspberry filled with powdered sugar were how we rolled after games." I think this is effective because it's so direct. The first sentence of the pair is a fragment--no verb--but it's just how we say things: forget this. New sentence. . . This is what matters now. So the sentences are speech like, but also the concrete details are great: Boston creams and raspberry filled are much better than just "donuts."

    Another sentence that I noticed was: "In my mind it was simple: homer to left equals free donuts." This stood out for me because of your use of the colon to set up the interpretation. You had a long sentence explaining the bakery's promotion and then this short one with a colon to really make it punch. I liked that--and it sets us up for the story to follow.

    Your post doesn't remind me of any personal stories, really, since I wasn't into sports as a child--a little (maybe a lot) clumsy and picked last for teams at school, I couldn't hit a ball with a bat to save me (maybe if I'd kept my eyes open it would have been better--but probably not). I was better with a racket, but still not great. Something about eye-hand coordination. Oh well. I LOVED to read books,instead. But I also love(d) donuts and I recognize from my own childhood that sometimes the most random things can be the coolest motivators and the funnest (I know) rewards. That's the part that connected.

    Thanks for your writing. I look forward to seeing what you write next, because you always write on interesting topics and have great word choice. I like that, even if the topic isn't something I connect to personally. Your voice sings out, so I enjoy.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

I think I'll post a little writing every so often...some polished...some rough. And I welcome any comments or criticisms or cupcakes you care to throw my way.