22 March 2010

Contest Time!

Woo hoo! Here's a little fun that I have with my students each year when we discuss run-on sentences, the right amount of details (of which this is a non-example), or something along those lines. I first did this at a WIFYR conference the summer of 2004, and have participated on other occasions.

Rules:
1. Write the longest sentence you possibly can in five minutes.
2. It must be grammatically correct.
3. You may only use one semicolon.
4. You cannot just use a list; it must have action.

Prizes:
(I'll figure it out later. Let's just see how many respond.)

Example:
Suddenly, and without warning, the downright dastardly and inhumane mutated monster of a man, Ivan the Impossible, stoically rose from the ice covered graying sidewalk, which ran in front of the decaying, moss-covered cemetery across from the looming gothic church, where the violent shots had just barely felled his enormous figure, and menacingly cackled like a demented, wounded hyena about to claim its next victim who was not quite dead yet; disgustingly amused at his own evil, cleverly-twisted feign of death, he solidly fixed his horrid, ice cold, yellow gaze upon the ancient, black single-shot pistol still smoking in my quivering hand, and then raised his smoldering eyes, ringed with hatred and outlined with loathing, until they met mine and pierced my fearfully trembling soul, and then he methodically marched forward, trudging one stumbling step after another to claim my pitiful life without mercy and without remorse.

Deadline: April 2, 2010

Good luck, and no cheating!

3 comments:

  1. Very nice sentence. It painted a nice picture in my head. I used to do something like this with my classes. If I find a little time I'll try my hand at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I give up already. I only teach 5th grade and some still write in one sentence, but doesn't fit the rest of the requirements.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marc tried but couldn't get it to post. I think he said it was just over 100 words, but he wasn't sure if it was gramatically correct. We'll see if he will try again . . . Me, I'm not going to try, you would laugh at how short it would be. :)

    ReplyDelete

I think I'll post a little writing every so often...some polished...some rough. And I welcome any comments or criticisms or cupcakes you care to throw my way.