07 February 2013

Introspection


About a week ago I noticed that my previous post was my two hundredth since I started in October of 2009.  I thought I should attempt to compose something profound, but this ramble will have to suffice. I took some time and thought about why I even started Joe Average Writer.  Good question since I can’t seem to manage keeping up with it.  The establishment of this blog was supposed to be, for me, a step away from my comfort zone, a “leap” into technology with which I was not familiar.  It has been.

But now I am comfortable; despite the fact that I am a little lax in my posting (despite my best road-paving intentions).  I still do not consider myself a professional blogger, nor will I ever.  And I still consider my postings selfish.  I do this blog primarily for me, not my readers, or those random people who stumble onto my ramblings.  Sorry, but it’s the truth.  If you are offended, well…that’s your deal.  Hopefully you can glean something from my introspection today.

Writing has been an outlet for me: a way to reflect and remember, a way to think and learn, a way to challenge myself and grow as a writer as well as a teacher and a human being.  Sometimes the writing extends to others.  You can usually tell which posts have a target audience and which ones are just for me.  This, for example, is more for my own sanity.  I need to write.  It helps me deal with my thoughts, interactions, experiences, and my self.  (Yes, I meant to leave that as two words.)

So, as I continue to write, perhaps those few who read this will realize that you are witnessing me happen.  It’s raw.  Genuine.  Granted, it’s an asynchronous observation of bits and pieces of what’s flying around the Ninja blender that is my head.  However, sometimes the pieces all come together to give birth to a worthwhile thought.  That is my intention, at least.  But sometimes—well, frequently, for me—I just need to pause and dump.  There is no processing, just a dump (like this post).  As some of you have read before, I try to teach my students to vomit all their thoughts onto the paper.  It’s messy, but if you sift through the chunks, eventually you make sense of what’s happened with your ideas.  It’s the same with your (my) thoughts.

I’ve been extremely occupied lately.  There have been rare moments for me to breathe, think, or write, but they have been few and far between.  I don’t intend to sound like I’m whining.  On the contrary, all of my endeavors have been worthwhile, especially those involving my awesome supportive wife and my five-ring kid circus.  But for now, I’m pondering the question asked by a wise religious leader: “In this fast-paced life, do we ever pause for moments of meditation—even thoughts of timeless truths? (Thomas S. Monson, April 2012).  Writing, and dumping helps me to do just that.

Now, to address your concerns, I have every intention on completing my food post endeavor, as well as the other ideas I hinted at previously.  But for now, I’m done.  More substance will come soon.

1 comment:

  1. I love your blog, so keep the dumps coming. I too write to "dump" I have kept a personal journal for nearly 40 years. I don't write every day but just as often as the spirit or craziness demands. It has kept me sane. I admire that you do it in public. I write for me figuring maybe my children and grand children might want to read them after I die.

    ReplyDelete

I think I'll post a little writing every so often...some polished...some rough. And I welcome any comments or criticisms or cupcakes you care to throw my way.