03 March 2017

"Hope Where I Least Expected"

I was digging through some old writer's notebooks that had collected on a corner of my desk--a special spot where I deposit things to sift through later. The Internet went down the other day, and so Later came sooner, and I explored the stacks, finding various projects that had been started, a few brainstorms of others that I'd like to start charging up, and even a few partially-worked pieces. One of those was this Bring Me poem that 7th grader Tyler C. asked me to help him shape after selecting an object from the field behind the school. He asked me if I could share the creation with others. That was about four or years ago, I think; he's at the high school now (for now).

I guess I should keep my promise:

"Hope Where I Least Expected" by Tyler C. (and Joe Average Writer)
(http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/dead-dandelion.html)

Dying Dandelion,
shriveling up like a 
hopeless twig in a fire
stubbornly striving to thrive
where others left you
for dead,
forgotten and forlorn,
spread
and spring up new
despite field of hate
and despise;
bring me a sign
that life goes on.


(Maybe there's a metaphor for what I found as well.)

1 comment:

  1. Wow! This is a great poem and a great idea. Maybe I should wish for the Internet to crash for a couple of days!?

    ReplyDelete

I think I'll post a little writing every so often...some polished...some rough. And I welcome any comments or criticisms or cupcakes you care to throw my way.