08 September 2015

Elevator Greetings

As many of you know, I was born in Japan. We live off-base for a while, but when I was not quite a year old we moved into a tower apartment on Yokota AFB. We lived on the sixth floor. I have no real recollection of this, but my mom likes to tell a story about me when we lived in the tower when I was not quite two.
Apparently I was not a shy toddler. Any time we ascended or descended in the elevator, no matter how many floors we traveled between stops, I would greet the other riders. However, I differentiated depending on who rode with us. Any American that rode with us got a “hi, there” or a hearty “hello.” However, if a person of Japanese descent got on the lift, I would bow deeply and say “konnichiwa.”

As part of a writing assignment I am doing along with my 9th graders, I asked my mom to share a story that I had no recollection of. This was it. In the past I've pushed memory and mining for them. Sometimes there is nothing you can do but ask for help.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I think I'll post a little writing every so often...some polished...some rough. And I welcome any comments or criticisms or cupcakes you care to throw my way.