12 February 2015

What LuAnn Shared with Me

(in memory of LuAnn Staheli 1954-2015) 

The first time I met LuAnn, I was a fairly new teacher, only one year of wear and tear--not too many dings or dents caused by 8th and 9th graders. I was freshly aware of this thing called professional development that needed to be done in order to maintain a license, and being the learning nerd that I am, I jumped at the chance to take a short class during the summer.

(from luannslibrary.blogspot.comcom)
So I found a one-day seminar about young adult literature, taught at Payson Junior High by Mrs. LuAnn Staheli. It was a cool presentation (well, for me anyway). In essence, it was a slide show book talk that included 100 new and popular books for middle readers and young adults. LuAnn speedtalked the whole way through. The dozen of us just talked books all day long and got credit for it. The only thing that would have made it better is if the seminar had included bacon.

What stuck out to me the most, though, was the passion with which LuAnn shared her knowledge and expertise about reading and how to put good books into the hands of students, especially reluctant readers. It struck me because that was what I wanted to do. I wanted to share my passion. And for the next several years, I proclaimed that my biggest goal for my 8th graders was to turn them into willing, self-selecting, self-proclaimed readers. And for the most part, it worked because I reengaged myself in reading what the kids were reading; I became that expert that they needed. Because of LuAnn's example of sharing books with passion, it became a part of me. I set goals and monitored the genres I dabbled in, and helped student to do the same. I've worked for 15 years now helping put the right books in the hands of kids who initially said they hated reading. And even though some of them still refuse to acknowledge they have ever read a book on their own, or that they even like stories, you can see the inward smiles hiding in their eyes when I pull out a book to read aloud or give them a recommendation. It still strikes me as funny when a student turns up her nose at a title I pull off the shelf specifically for her, but then I see the sequel to said book tucked under her arm a few days later. It's all about sharing. I still try to share what I read via Goodreads. (I think my book reviews from there automatically post to my Facebook feed, too.)

Sharing good books and turning kids into readers who crave their next fiction fix or dose of poetry is one of many teaching accomplishments I can say that LuAnn played a role in. In a way, she became another mentor for me. Since that first meeting, I have had the opportunity to work with her in many capacities: district assignments, professional conferences, reading, writing, teaching, mentoring. The list goes on. But the one thing that remained constant was that every time we got together, she would share something with me: a new title, a piece of writing she was working on, an experience with an unruly hooligan.

Shortly before she passed, LuAnn messaged me to come over because she wanted to share something--books about teaching and books about writing. She told me that she didn't have any use for them any more and knew that if I couldn't use them, I knew those who did. (Each one has found a home.) As I sat with her for about an hour, she shared even more than pages: memories, family stories (I taught three of her five boys), successes, passages, and encouragement. (She still believes I will be the next Chris Crowe. Don't worry, Chris, I'm still pretty far behind.)

Now, over the fifteen years of my association with LuAnn, we held many frank conversations about curriculum, teaching practices, and even who should be cast in films made from books. We may not have always seen eye to eye philosophically on everything we held in common, which as writers and teachers of literacy is quite a lot, but that's okay. It strengthened everything she shared with me. I can honestly say that I am proud to have known LuAnn Staheli in many roles, arenas, and stages. Even though that ultimate visit in January made me late for other engagements, I am glad I spent the time with my colleague and friend. She will be missed, but her influence will keep radiating. I went to her funeral service this afternoon. Reaffirmation for my friend and her love, her service, and her influence permeated each soul in attendance.

(from www.coachayers.com)
Along this same vein, I want to make sure that I keep sharing. I don't know if my personal influence will be as widespread, but I'd like to think that I have things to share that might affect others. Call me masochistic, but that's why I keep up this pathetic blog. That's why I keep reading. That's why I keep going back for another degree. That's why I won't give up on 9th graders who have already resigned themselves to spending time in prison. That's why I strive to keep my voice, quiet as it may be (or not if you ask the other teachers in my hall), alive. That's what writing can do. That's what teaching can do--even if you don't do it by profession.

Keep talking. Keep listening. Keep writing. Keep a journal. Keep up relationships. Keep your faith.

Keep sharing.

Follow this link to learn more about LuAnn Staheli.

(Yes, I know she'd circle quite a few the sentences in this post and say "I don't buy it.")

2 comments:

I think I'll post a little writing every so often...some polished...some rough. And I welcome any comments or criticisms or cupcakes you care to throw my way.