10 February 2015

Revitalized

Okay, so my December explosion of blog posts was a dud--worse than the Fourth of July fireworks show that didn't really happen one year because a semi-dud found its way into the back of the truck containing the rest of the explosives...but that's another story. Yes, I know where intentions pave the road, but I did have high aspirations of sharing some bodaciously useful words. I'll keep doing it every once in a while, but I don't think it will be a regular occurrence as I had previously envisioned. Stay tuned.

No, I just need to keep writing, though. I got derailed in December because I let the online class I teach take over my life. Well, actually, I don't think that phrasing is quite right. It was more like a plague of locusts invaded my cyberspace and I had to spend my wakeful hours (and some not so wakeful ones) driving out the pestilence that filled my inbox.

Still, it isn't really a valid excuse. Writing takes time, and I have to make time for it.

In the meantime, I have cleaned up that mess, decided to become healthier (along with my lovely wife), and wrung my hands about red tape and my dissertation (still roadblocked, waiting to hear back from two people). I am planning to teach two writing seminars this summer, and have been asked to submit to a couple of publications (don't know if it will happen right now).

So, my disgruntled followers, the few of you who even bother to check up on this blog, all is not lost. I am revitalizing and re-prioritizing so I can find and make more time to write. I have been reading Kelly Gallagher's book Write Like This, and remembering why I love teaching writing, why I love reading good writing, why I simply love to write.

Along that line, I am undertaking a new long-term project (yes, another one): I have decided, glutton for punishment that I am, to map the writing I have already done and create a personal history. This will allow me to see which parts of my life I have already written about and where serious potholes need to be filled. I want more authentic topics for my students to see me modeling, and this will give me an opportunity to branch away from the same old stuff.

So, in the words of L.L. Cool J, "Don't call it a comeback." I'm still here, but Joe, Version 38.1 is going to share more frequently, more deeply, and more openly (maybe). Prepare yourself. Brace for impact. Whatever. It's coming. Be afraid; be very afraid. (Not really. I just wanted to use one more cliche.)

P.S. Don't tell my other blog this, but I'm down 16.6 lbs. from the beginning of January!

1 comment:

I think I'll post a little writing every so often...some polished...some rough. And I welcome any comments or criticisms or cupcakes you care to throw my way.