30 September 2013

Demon Goats...Yes, You Heard Me Correctly...Demon Goats

This post is an amalgamation of a couple different prompts. It started last December regarding a prompt focused around traditions. It then evolved over time, finishing today after I read Lemony Snicket and Jon Klassen's The Dark. The prompt asked students to reflect on some fear they may or may not have overcome. Most chose to also write about the dark, or heights, spiders, roller coasters, clowns, or other common fears. Mine...well...mine is different.

We have a tradition in our family to visit a pumpkin patch every year before Halloween.  We go with the same friends and have the same great time.  This year, when we thought about changing venues, all the kids protested—a few to the point of tears.

So we kept our plans and herded a total of ten children to Vineyard, UT, where Pumpkin Land resides.  We started with the traditional corn maze, or rather corn trail, where the older boys, of course, left everyone in the dust, determined that they knew best.  (It was actually the girls who found the way this year.)  Then we proceeded to the farm animal enclosures.  Chickens, ducks, rabbits, turkeys, and sheep grazed on leftover harvest veggies as dozens of kids (not all ours) poked and yelled among the pens and play equipment.

And then a memory I hadn't thought of in years hit me square in the face; and despite my accumulated years of adult experience, I jumped like a little kid, and almost bolted.  There, with its stupid ugly shaggy head caught between iron bars was a large billy goat.  He bleated and pulled and butted and caused enough racket that I thought he was going to tear down the fence and start after me.  Irrationally, I scooped up Sam and led him away as quickly as I could.

As we left and headed toward the bounce houses (much safer and less nasty—even with dozens of soggy-socked three-to-eleven-year-olds), I realized that Zac was still standing by the other goat pen, feeding them.  The farmer had come, unstuck the stubborn billy and brought a ginormous bag of popcorn to feed the smaller, tamer goats, letting some of the children help.  And because I’m honestly not scared of goats, I felt really stupid for my unexplainable behavior.

Well, maybe a quick back story is warranted since there is an explanation that might clear my silliness.  When I was quite a bit younger (perhaps kindergarten or first grade), my mom signed me and my brothers up for one of those book clubs where every month we would get four books in the mail.  Very cool—especially for a geek like me who loved to read.  However, amidst all the great and not-so-great children’s literature that I was exposed to, there remains one book that as I look back in retrospect, was the origin of all my fears.

I believe it was called The Little Goat by Judy Dunn.  (I have since found a picture of the cover.)  Harmless enough, it was about a little girl who helped raise a runty kid until it was big enough to take care of itself (if I remember correctly).  However, there were a couple of pictures of the other goats on the farm that just gave me the willies: first, a shaggy brown goat sticking its head out of a barn; and second, a black and brown goat that looked like an ultra-hairy Donald Sutherland with bugging eyes and a crazy, wild look as in his role as Sgt. Oddball in Kelly’s Heroes—craaaazzy man.  In his words, it put off lots of negative waves, baby, as it stared off the page into my soul.  That demon goat scared the crap out of me.

When we lived in Arkansas, there was an old working mill that we would go to every so often.  And I believe we had pictures there once, so I actually thought it was Olin Mills—you know: the portrait studio.  And it could have been for all I knew back then.  I remember a path along the stream with wooden planks and handrails like something Huck, Tom, and Joe might have lashed together: so rickety you felt safer not holding onto them.  And there was a covered bridge with rails where we would drop sticks into the lazily creeping stream.  Bracken and other mosses covered just about everything with a perpetual green.  Even the water had a greenish tint to it.

I believe I was in second or third grade when I had a nightmare of being stuck on a dilapidated wooden bridge, the very one from the mill.  One end collapsed; the other dropped off into the greenish swirling pond, trapping me in semi-darkness.   I raced over to one side, but waiting for me was one of the demon goats from the book only about the size of a tree.  Panicked, I rushed to the opposite side.  The other goat waited, smiling.  Their necks started stretching until they looked like giant deformed llamas.  Their goofy, lopsided heads began swaying back and forth, serpentining like cartoon cobras moving in for the kill.  I couldn’t escape and I woke up screaming and tangled in my covers.  Looking over the railing of my top bunk, The Little Goat lay open to the page with the demon goats.  It was several months before I could even look at the book again.  The pictures haunted me for years.  And although I am not afraid of goats in real life, every so often when I think about that dream, I involuntarily shudder.

This is the cover of the book. Not scary.   I can't find a picture of the demons, but
they're in there! I went to my parents' house to find the book, but it has disappeared.
I wonder if I might have destroyed it several years ago.  It wouldn't put it past me.

I've had several experiences with goats since that moment that have caused me slight discomfort. One was a goat eating my friend’s worksheet out of his hand on a field trip to a zoo during 6th grade. My mom, who was chaperoning the trip, had to vouch for him because the teacher didn't believe that the goat ate his homework. Another instance happened across the Atlantic in Spain. I was walking down a dirt trail along a steep hillside with a companion, only to realize that we were in the direct path of a flock of several hundred goats. With no way to go around, we had to freeze as the animals poured around us, some of them nipping at our belts and fingers and packs as they ebbed and flowed down the path, a fuzzy brown and white stream replete with sprouting horns and full udders dragging on the ground—the lone shepherd laughing at us all the way. But nothing compares to the trauma inflicted by The Little Goat and his pals. 

Stupid bleaters!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I think I'll post a little writing every so often...some polished...some rough. And I welcome any comments or criticisms or cupcakes you care to throw my way.