07 April 2013

More Food!

I thought I would start out this month by sharing another food post.  I think I'm only one short of my contracted amount after this.  Not that I won't ever do them again, but I think I need to be done with them.  So as I was helping Amy with our monthly menu, she suggested Cheesy Tortellini Spinach Bake, which, ironically, was the next post that I was planning to do.  It was the last picture I had taken, too.  It's been on my iPad for a little while, too.  Doh!

So, here's the picture:

And here's the recipe.  It comes from Savoring Our Seasons with Our Best Bites by Sara Wells and Kate Jones.  My awesome wife calls it a "very trendy Mormon mommy thing."  Yes, it's true, but it's still scrumptious.

Cheesy Tortellini Spinach Bake

12 oz. tortellini
4 oz. bacon
3 cloves garlic, pressed or finely minced
2 T. flour
2 c. milk
3/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/8 tsp. black pepper
1 1/2 tsp. dries basil
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes (I like more)
1 med. lemon
2 c. roughly chopped, loosely packed fresh spinach
3/4 c. grated mozzarella cheese
3/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Cook tortellinis according to directions.
2. Cook bacon until crisp.  Reserve small amount of drippings.  Add garlic to pan and cook until tender (1 min. or so.).  Add flour to pan. Whisk until smooth.  Add salt, pepper, basil, and red pepper flakes.  Bring sauce to a simmer.
3. While sauce is heating, zest the lemon.  Cut lemon in half and juice it. Add 1 Tbsp. to sauce.  Stir until thickened (2 min.). Remove from heat.
4. Drain tortellini and return to pot.  Reserve 1 Tbsp. of bacon.  Add rest to pasta.  Add spinach, 1/2 c. of mozz. cheese, and 1/2 c. Parm. cheese.  Add sauce and stir gently.  Place pasta mixture in baking dish.  Top with remaining cheeses and bacon.
5. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.  Remove foil and bake for additional 5-10 minutes.  Remove and cool a bit before serving.
6. Scarf!  Nom nom nom nom.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I think I'll post a little writing every so often...some polished...some rough. And I welcome any comments or criticisms or cupcakes you care to throw my way.