19 March 2013

Some Musing Advice

My wonderful wife pointed out an article in the Winter 2013 Humanities at BYU magazine that she thought I would be interested in.  She was write, I mean, right.  "Coaxing the Muse: Thoughts on the Creative Process" intrigued me so much that I had my 9th graders read it, annotate it, write personal reflections about Larsen's advice, their own creative processes, and how they, as students and writers and human beings are developing.  Lance E. Larsen, BYU English Professor and Poet Laureate of Utah, adapted this article from a speech he gave during a university devotional talk he gave in May of 2007.  I wish could have heard it in person.  However, I just happened to be in my classroom.  But after reading it and digesting his written version, I found the next best thing: a link to the actual speech.  Listen to it.  It's good.  However, if you don't have the time, here is the penultimate paragraph from the article:

In finishing up I want to make clear that I have merely scratched the surface of today's topic.  Creativity remains a messy, recalcitrant, but invigorating process that resists--thank goodness--my attempts to explain it.  Still, the principles we've talked about can easily be applied to our various circumstances.  First, reading widely and deeply will allow you to immerse yourself in a given field and gain expertise.  Second, establishing a daily habit of writing or similar engagement will take you into the heart of nearly any discipline.  Third, letting the writing lead you, or having faith in the mysterious process of creation, will let you tap sources beyond your own limitations.  Fourth, revising, regardless of the field, gives you the chance to revisit and improve upon early efforts, and in the process take full advantage of the perspectives of others.  Fifth, falling in love with the world and taking notes can help cultivate powers of observation otherwise left dormant.  And finally, sixth, gathering insights from other disciplines will help you see more clearly through your own lens.

I like that.  Now I just need to put it into practice more effectively.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, great minds think alike. I used that article with my classes this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to check out the speech.

    ReplyDelete

I think I'll post a little writing every so often...some polished...some rough. And I welcome any comments or criticisms or cupcakes you care to throw my way.