21 March 2013

Cherry Blossoms

I'm taking a break from supervising 7th graders in the computer lab, writing a research proposal, and watching Butler finish off Bucknell to write a few lines (literally) about cherry blossoms.  My friend and colleague Rillene posted an open invitation from NPR to submit a haiku about cherry blossoms.

I recall from when I lived in Japan the second time (December of '85 through December of '88), one of the main roads of the eastern side of the base was lined on both sides with cherry trees.  When you faced west, the pale pink springtime blossoms framed Mt. Fuji--just like a postcard.  I have written about these soft blossoms before...mostly in haiku...so I felt like I should crank out another...just for fun.  It's not my best work, but I needed a diversion for a few moments.


pink flurries bring hope
despite Winter’s frigid reign
of gray oppression

Whatever your experience with cherry blossoms, or any other promise of spring, I challenge you to write a short haiku and post it in the comments below.  Share your snapshot with the rest of cyberspace.  Maybe you should also post on the NPR Facebook page, too.  They accept submissions until the 22nd.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I think I'll post a little writing every so often...some polished...some rough. And I welcome any comments or criticisms or cupcakes you care to throw my way.