03 March 2011

A Few Tidbits from Kelly Gallagher

As many of my writing friends, I also attended the CUWP-sponsored workshop where Kelly Gallagher presented. I learned a lot, and more importantly, I feel validated in what I do as a teacher. During the conference, I purchased his book Teaching Adolescent Writers. As I go through it, I can't help the desire to regurgitate what I've been chewing. Spitting it out for you all to see helps in my digestion. And to mix metaphors, I guess the sponge between my ears needs time to process all I'm absorbing. So, here are a few neatly packaged lists from the first chapter of the book:

Top Ten Writing Wrongs in Secondary Schools
(from Kelly Gallagher’s Teaching Adolescent Writers)

1. Students are not doing enough writing.
2. Writing is sometimes assigned rather than taught.
3. Below-grade-level writers are asked to write less than others instead of more than others.
4. English language learners are often shortchanged as well.
5. Grammar instruction is ineffective or ignored.
6. Students are not given enough timed writing instruction or practice.
7. Some teachers have little or no knowledge of district and state writing standards.
8. Writing topics are often mandated with little thought about the prior knowledge and interests of students.
9. Teachers are doing too much of the work. Students are not doing enough work.
10. Teachers need help assessing student writing.

Writing Reasons (Why People Write)
(also from Teaching Adolescent Writers)

1. Writing is hard, but “hard” is rewarding.
2. Writing helps you sort things out.
3. Writing helps to persuade others.
4. Writing helps to fight oppression.
5. Writing makes you a better reader.
6. Writing makes you smarter.
7. Writing helps you get into and through college.
8. Writing prepares you for the world of work.


I highly recommend buying this book if you are a teacher of writing. Check out Kelly's website as well: www.kellygallagher.org

No comments:

Post a Comment

I think I'll post a little writing every so often...some polished...some rough. And I welcome any comments or criticisms or cupcakes you care to throw my way.