04 October 2010

Tips from Gary and a Favor

Last Friday I went to a reading by Newbery and Printz winning author Gary D. Schmidt. I first read Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy when it first one the Newbery Honor. I enjoyed the voice so much that dashed to the local library to find all I could by Gary. I only found one dusty, old copy of Anson's Way, and it was tucked behind a few other new but never-read novels. (Thanks, Payson.) The crisp, bent pages made me doubtful, but I was pleasantly surprised. I thoroughly enjoyed it, even though seventh graders might shun the lack of immediate action. But that was all. Nothing else. The library didn't even have Lizzie Bright...yet.

And then I read The Wednesday Wars, one of my favorite new novels to explore with seventh graders. It is so full of meaning and description and beauty and sorrow and humor and everything. Wow!

So, here are a few tidbits of writing wisdom I picked up from Gary before I dropped a load (of cash) on more of his books, including the last copy of the book with my name in the title!

** The first thing Gary does when creating a plot is to find the narrator's voice. He tries to capture it, get it in his head before unfolding what happens. By doing so, you can understand what you want to say and how you want to say it. It's also important to distinguish between the voice of the author and the voice of the narrator/character.

** First drafts are simply that. "It's not brain surgery. You don't have to get it right the first time."

** Most young adult novels need to explode into the story. But every once in while try and break the rules (see his novel Trouble).

** Writing is discipline. You need to establish and keep a routine. You must write every day.

I think this is where I go wrong. Duh. Gary writes 500 words per day on each project he is currently working on. When he reaches that mark, he makes notes for the next day's work, to establish continuity. He also rereads any previous work on a chapter while writing a first draft. (Gary also uses a typewriter for each first draft. Think Grandma Walker will let me use hers?)

I guess I just need to get back into a habit of writing. To update my goals, I think I'll start baby taking baby steps, Dr. Leo Marvin, with a mere 15 minutes each day. It doesn't need to be perfect, or necessarily a draft of a novel, but I need to keep writing.

Could I ask all you awesome people out there to keep me on track? Check up on me every so often? Just ask me how I'm doing on my 15 minutes? I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

One last thought from Gary:
"Writing is never served by being in a hurry."
True dat.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry that I missed Gary's presentation. Writing, other than my journal, has not been on the radar as something to do.
    I love Dr. Leo Marvin, great movie. Are able to write 15 minutes a day? Are you staying on track?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Wednesday Wars. Such an amazing novel. I can't get any of my students to read it, though.

    ReplyDelete

I think I'll post a little writing every so often...some polished...some rough. And I welcome any comments or criticisms or cupcakes you care to throw my way.