14 September 2010

A Few Thoughts on Writing

I was looking back through some writing notebooks this morning and found this: a response to some questions posed by a grad instructor a few years back. I'd be interested to hear/see/read what you have to say about this. So if you want to free write in the comments section for a minute or two, feel free (no wrong answers).

--Must we experience writing ourselves in order to teach writing?
--What does it mean to be a writer?

My response (21 July 2008):

Everybody writes--well, almost everybody. But to be a writer involves deliberate thinking and rethinking about the words and ideas expressed on the page. It's a semi-permanent, muddle-though shakedown of thoughts. To refuse to write is to refuse the clarification of your own thoughts. So, in short, to be a writer is to be a thinker.

In order to teach writing you must know the ins and outs of the science and the art of writing. Honestly, how can you teach something you don;t know or have experienced? Even if you do not spout sonnets or soliloquies or even attempt essays unless threatened by pain of failing grade, if you are an avid reader, you can still tell what good writing is. Reading and writing go hand in hand and the improvement of one is ultimately entwined in the indulgence of both.
(Did I really just write that?)

To improve anything you must practice. I've found that my students learn best as I teach by example--especially writing. They need to know that I know the pains and frustrations of producing meaningless drivel on a page as well as the joy of rescuing a single rescued from the smoldering ashes of freewriting hell. This has been tangential in nature, but it boils down to a resounding "yes." In order to teach writing one must become an active participant in the writing process.

Maybe I'll go back and revise this. Or not.
(I didn't...yet.)

Please feel free to chime in and add your two cents--or two dollars...I'll take anything.

1 comment:

  1. I like how you said that to refuse to write is to refuse to clarify your thoughts. I don't refuse to write; I just don't make time. That must be why my thoughts are muddled and when a clear, profound thought crosses my mind, I lose it before I can record it. Several times lately I've almost craved a minute or two to write. I guess you could look at daily writing like Dumbledore's pensive . . . a place to purge your mind and look it over to see what is worth keeping. Thanks for food for thought.

    ReplyDelete

I think I'll post a little writing every so often...some polished...some rough. And I welcome any comments or criticisms or cupcakes you care to throw my way.