10 November 2009

Something New...?

I think I might use this rough intro to begin a new short story about a kid who actually (for a time) learns through osmosis. I'd like some feedback on this. What works? Where do you have questions? Any suggestions?

I could smell her before I could see her. As I plowed my way through the jungle of jocks and jerks, goths and geeks, toward Mr. Pemberton’s chemistry class, the aroma of her Blushing Violet body spray grew stronger. I felt a lump of what felt like a grapefruit try to force its way down my throat as the crowds thinned. Rayna stood in front of her open locker, surrounded by a pack of jackals hoping she’d take notice, brushing out her long dark hair as she always did before fourth period.

My palms sweat and started to tremble. Forty pounds of books began to slide from my grasp as I fumbled for my inhaler. My glasses fogged. “Watch out, weirdo” was the last thing I heard before the bell broke my concentration and I went down in a cloudburst of algebra assignments.

Within seconds, the hallway became as lonely as a graveyard, the cold, gray lockers standing solemn as headstones. Apart from a few spooks haunting the bathrooms, I was alone. Gathering up my papers from the dusty tiles, I heard the distinct tapping of the hall monitor Mr. Buckton’s combat boots echoing as he patrolled the halls. I blew the hair from my eyes, wiped my lenses clean on my T-shirt, and scurried into class, late yet again.

1 comment:

  1. I really liked the intro "I could smell her before I could see her." That really caught my interest. I also REALLY like the idea for the story - it sounds fun! The only thing that was kinda wierd for me was the name of the bodyspray :) What does Blushing Violet smell like?
    I really like your writing Joe, and I can't wait for more!!

    ReplyDelete

I think I'll post a little writing every so often...some polished...some rough. And I welcome any comments or criticisms or cupcakes you care to throw my way.