11 February 2015

...The Whole Truth and Nothing but the Truth

"Recollection, I have found, is usually about half invention, and right now I realize that there is much about (insert whatever or whomever you want here) that I either invented or got secondhand" (61). Wallace Stegner spoke these words to me as I meandered through his Crossing to Safety last night. There is beauty in its language (at least so far), but it is definitely not a plot-driven book, and so it gives me time to ponder while the characters interact and spout truths at each other.

And there is truth in this line.

)from http://eprahaar.in/exploding-gas-cylinders-spark-massive-fire-none-hurt/)
When I read Stegner's passage, my mind was immediately drawn to the story about the Fourth of July I alluded to in yesterday's blog scribble. That incident happened when I lived in Las Vegas--I don't remember which summer. Our family had gone somewhere on Nellis AFB to watch the annual firework show. I usually tell the story that a few smaller rockets went off--a traditional warm-up for a military-grade show. Then a larger rocket streaked low across the sky but fell back earthward, out of sight before exploding in the back of the truck where all the fireworks were stored. A massive flame erupted, destroying the truck, lighting up the sky, and ruining the rest of the night. It's a great story.

However, no one else in my family remembers that night like I do, or at least the way I think I remember it. They were there, but the details aren't quite the same. And when I'm honest with myself, and dig into the shafts of my mind before detonating the charges, I can visualize another not-quite-so-spectacular version of that night's events. The tale starts the same, but after the dud rocket comes back down, nothing happens. And then even more nothing. And then there are just a bunch of disappointed people packing up unused sparklers, ratty lawn chairs, and coolers full of Shasta. I recall hearing at school (later in the fall) that a truck blew up.

So which of the stories is accurate? Which one is the truth? I'm not sure. I know which one makes a better story, though. But does it even matter? I begin to doubt myself. I have touched on the subject of excavating memories to produce writing on more than one occasion, using terms like embellishment and ESPN highlight reels to describe our finished products. And any good storyteller knows that the more you tell a story, the better it gets (usually). Right? Even if some fictional elements weasel their way in. Right? I've been contemplating this for close to 18 hours now, and I am not any closer to a conclusion. Call me non-committal, or chalk it up to working too much with argument writing, but I haven't been convinced one way or another yet. I would love to get your thoughts and feedback.

So let me rephrase: Does it matter which version of the truth you guard in your memories? And then, if you care to elaborate more, how does that affect what we pass on, be it oral or written?

Just promise me you'll tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

Also check out Nothing But the Truth by Avi.

4 comments:

  1. Ask Brian Williams. Sometimes "embellishments" go too far. We have to be honest with ourselves and make sure the story we tell is truly ours to tell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Memories, for me, are like fading pictures, drying as if I painted them with only water. For some, they get skewed by present day meaning making experiences and current needs. For me, it seems they just fade and I sit in a place without confidence of what was. Some things seem etched in stone. I keep them alive as I retell them to my children and even my clients. some I am sure are seen through the glasses of present necessity. However, I take comfort in some memories whether they are precise or not. Either way, I am confident something must have happened to make me who I am today. As Renee DeCartes said, I think, hence I am. Therefore one can conclude also, I experienced. ..therefore I was, am, and will be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My response, in an unnecessarily long post of my own. http://onebraintwoauthors.blogspot.com/2015/02/response-blog-whole-truth-and-nothing.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate these comments, as well as those left on the Facebook link to this post. Great conversation. I just wanted to bring up some points to discuss and get people thinking. Well done, all.

    ReplyDelete

I think I'll post a little writing every so often...some polished...some rough. And I welcome any comments or criticisms or cupcakes you care to throw my way.