21 August 2020

This Is What Happens When Your Daughter Takes a Creative Writing Class or Goldfish Poems Written with Ally

It goes without saying that when Ally asks me to help her brainstorm for poetry ideas for her creative writing class, I am compelled to complete the assignments myself (not for her)...and I complete a poem for the first time in a long time. I do not write them for her. She is talented enough to hold her own. I just get in the way. However, last night, we sat down and wrote together. We collaborated and wrote individually. The following are three poems that emerged from an assignment originally asked for thoughts or perspective from an animal. The one she wrote by herself will be turned in as her assignment. The others are just for our personal writing satisfaction (and hopefully for your reading pleasure).


"The Goldfish I Won at the School Carnival--A Haiku"

swishy-swish, swish, glub

glub glub glub glub glub glub-glub

oh, no! belly up


"Goldfish Wisdom"

One thing you should always remember

is to just keep swimming

because you never--


Look, it's Percy.

Food flakes already?


What was I saying?

Oh, yes...

One thing you should always remember

is to--


Oooh! Shiny pebble!


"Purpose"

Bobbing in my bubble, endlessly

swirling in circles

discombobulates my brain,

but I turn and twirl and twist my tail

for you.

Somehow my food flake frenzy

and spinning stills your sorrow.


When you start to speak

to me,

the sound of your soul flowing through the air

dispels my despondency,

saves me from swimming in circles.


And I think,

even if memory fails after five seconds,

that the intricate wash of my current

and your ritualistic chatter

keep you alive, which keeps me afloat

another day

to help us

forget a seemingly

meaningless, monotonous existence.


Photo Credits (where I borrowed them):

https://pixar.fandom.com/wiki/Chuckles_(Finding_Nemo)

https://yourteenmag.com/teenager-school/teens-high-school/teenage-attention-span




4 comments:

I think I'll post a little writing every so often...some polished...some rough. And I welcome any comments or criticisms or cupcakes you care to throw my way.