21 June 2020

Only Writing Produces Text: A Call to Repentance


This morning a local church leader challenged those listening to reflect on their strengths, the things that they did well. He went on to ask everyone to reflect on the things that bring us closer to God. However, my ears tuned out at that point, and I listened more to what my heart was saying. The parable of the talents came to mind, especially the poignant conclusion: “For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance; but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath” (Matthew 25:29). 
(taken from https://thescribblingssite.wordpress.com)
As I have noted on prior occasions, I do not feel like I have many strengths. I am just the Joe-of-all-trades, master of none—the quintessential Average Joe. Perhaps, instead of five talents, or two, or even one, I was given a couple of farthings or pennies, to carry on the Biblical metaphor. Regardless, I do not want to be the unprofitable servant. I have been given a few gifts, and I need to do better at improving those talents. I can’t squander what I have been given, or else it will be taken away.
I feel a little like the saints under more modern day condemnation—“But with some I am not well pleased, for they will not open their mouths, but they hide the talent which I have given unto them, because of the fear of man. Wo unto such for mine anger is kindled against them….Thou shalt not idle away thy time, neither shalt thou bury thy talent that it may not be known” (Doctrine & Covenants 60: 2, 13). My "talent" has been hidden for a while.
Now, I am not saying that I am going to be struck by lightning (I hope) any time soon, but consider this my call to repentance. “Why?” you ask.
Lately I have not been writing.
(taken from https://www.raindance.org)
And as my good friend Melissa pointed out to me again the other day, if you teach writing, you should write also. A sermon I have not been practicing lately. (Gulp.)
I teach writing (Composition I and II at BU), but I have not been writing. You may have noticed this, as I have not been posting anything. 

So I’m calling myself on the proverbial carpet. Forgive me. I need to write more. As I am well aware, only writing produces text. My doctoral chair pointed out that simple truth as I began my dissertation, and I often impart its wisdom to my students, but every once in a while, like right now, I need to apply it myself.
It’s not that I haven’t thought about writing—I have. A lot. I just haven’t done much about it. And I'm not going to pass off my laziness or fear or whatever my problem is on simple writer's block.
Here and now, I declare that I will no longer squander my talents, as meager as they are. I am going to write more. I am going to share more. I am going to bother you more with my writing, about my writing, and perhaps even in my writing.
With some luck and determination I might actually turn my penny into a talent.
(borrowed from Bill Watterson)



1 comment:

  1. I am here for this. I want to read your words.

    I spend a LOT of time wondering why it's so hard to write when writing is one of my favorite things to do. The best I can come up with is that writing is hard. And it's hard to do hard things. It's also scary to do hard things. Especially during a pandemic.

    ReplyDelete

I think I'll post a little writing every so often...some polished...some rough. And I welcome any comments or criticisms or cupcakes you care to throw my way.