18 April 2019

Back with Poem in Your Pocket Day 2019!

So, those of you who noticed my nasty case of blog neglect and figured that I would forget Poem in Your Pocket Day were sorely mistaken. Yes, I am a self-proclaimed slacker, but I'm still here to ramp up the poetry madness, y'all!

 First, if you are not familiar with Poem in My Pocket Day, here are the rules:

1. Find a copy of your favorite poem...or at least one that you like...or has touched you recently...or whatever. Digital is fine, but it's more human if you print a copy or transcribe it by hand.

2. Carry it around in your pocket (at the ready) all day. You shouldn't have to search for it on your phone every time you pull it out.

3. Share your chosen poem with people throughout the day.

4. Relish the poetry of this world!

Now because I probably won't see all of you today, here is my poem for today. This year I chose to honor the late Mary Oliver, a poet I have read more extensively of late. I planned a longer blog post around this poem, and I may yet do it, but for now, here it is:

“What We Want”
(Taken from https://www.facebook.com/PoetMaryOliver/photos/)

In a poem
people want
something fancy,

but even more
they want something
inexplicable
made plain,

easy to swallow—
not unlike a suddenly
harmonic passage

in an otherwise
difficult and sometimes dissonant
symphony—

even if it is only
for the moment
of hearing it.

Now do me a favor: take time for poetry today and share with me as well. Post your poem in the comments here or via social media somewhere (#pocketpoem), or send me a message if I won't see you face to face. Happy Poem in Your Pocket day!


4 comments:

  1. I bargained with life for a penny
    And life would pay me no more
    However I begged at evening
    While counting my scanty store
    For life is a just employer
    He'll pay you what you ask
    But once you set the wages
    You must bare the task
    I worked for a menial's hire
    Only to find dismayed
    Any price I would've asked of life
    Life would've willingly payed

    ReplyDelete
  2. You introduced me to this poem! I've been sharing it with my students today--my version of the poem, that is, with apologies to Mr. Collins.

    Introduction to Poetry--Mrs. Nielsen's version
    by Billy Collins (with apologies)

    I'll ask [you] to take a poem
    and hold it up to the light
    like a color slide

    or press an ear against its hive.

    [I'll] say drop a mouse into a poem
    and watch him probe his way out,

    or walk inside the poem’s room
    and feel the walls for a light switch.

    I want [you] to waterski
    across the surface of a poem
    waving at the author’s name on the shore.

    [Because all other teachers will] want [you] to do
    is tie the poem to a chair with rope
    and torture a confession out of it.

    [They'll] begin beating it with a hose
    to find out what it really means.

    [Only you can save the poem!]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll post a snippet from one of my favorite Romantic poets: Robert Burns, the Scottish Bard.

    "To a Mouse"

    ...
    But Mousie, thou are no thy lane,
    In proving foresight may be vain:
    The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men
    Gang aft agley,
    An’ lea’e us nought but grief an’ pain,
    For promis’d joy!
    ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think most of mine are still copyrighted BUT I do love Robert Louis Stevenson's children's poetry -- My Shadow, the one about the swing, etc. Also, The Owl and the Pussycat. But for today--

    Animal crackers and cocoa to drink,
    That is the finest of suppers, I think.
    When I'm grown up and can have what I please,
    I think I shall always insist upon these.

    What do you choose when you're offered a treat,
    What do you like best to eat?
    Is it waffles and syrup or cinnamon toast?
    It's cocoa and animals I love the most!

    (Nothing too complicated in my life. :D )

    ReplyDelete

I think I'll post a little writing every so often...some polished...some rough. And I welcome any comments or criticisms or cupcakes you care to throw my way.