20 November 2017

NaNoWriMo Update

This is a simple insertion to say that I have been undertaking National Novel Writing Month in a different way this year. Last year I wrote my dissertation instead of writing fiction. This year, I am attacking multiple projects at the same time.

First, I am writing a separate personal narrative with my four classes who are not participating in NaNoWriMo. I brainstormed in front of them and with them. I drafted when they drafted. After Thanksgiving we will move into revisions. Only then will I share each of those episodes, one of which is part of the math stories. I have a few more of those to write as well. They will appear soon.

Also, I am writing a novel-ish piece of fiction based completely on the Dare Machine on the NaNoWriMo Young Writer's Program site, a great place for students to receive communal support for their monumental undertaking. The Dare Machine is an idea generator for if/when you get stuck. On a whim, I decided to abandon all of my preplanned ideas (I'll save them for later) and surrendered myself to the mercy of the Dare Machine gods. Every scene I write comes straight from the next dare. The challenge comes in typing the scenes together coherently and cohesively.

Currently I am behind my word count goal, but honestly, for me, any bit of writing I do (that is more than responding to email or social media) is going toward my word count. So, as of the end of this post, I am siting at 21,261 words.

2 comments:

  1. I am NOT doing NaNo this year, but I DID finish the 3rd draft to my novel and started on the 4th draft, so I'm super proud of that. I would dearly love to read the Dare Machine novel. That sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm proud of you, too. Not super proud of this Dare Machine novel, but it's been an interesting journey so far.

      Delete

I think I'll post a little writing every so often...some polished...some rough. And I welcome any comments or criticisms or cupcakes you care to throw my way.