03 December 2014

You Can Never Have Too Much Pie

multifarious:(adjective) of many and various kinds

                  My multifarious reading interests and endeavors rarely allow me time to finish one book, as I am usually working on eight or nine simultaneously.

                  So, to be completely honest, I just looked this word up today. I was questing for a new word (another good vocabulary acquisition tool—insatiable curiosity) to describe all the types of pie I consumed over Thanksgiving Break. And I was flat-out tired of “various” and “multiple.” “Sundry” didn’t quite feel right either, so I looked in a thesaurus to unearth something new and shiny (almost as good as Christmas)
Hint: Make your thesaurus your friend. Don’t over-rely on him, but know where to find him when you need help.
Now back to the pie. We had pie at school before the break. We consumed pie on Thanksgiving. However, in our family, the biggest pie ingestion fest comes the day before Turkey Day. We get together with my mother-in-law’s side of the family for the Puckett Pie Palooza every year! It’s a literal pie smorgasbord with such a multifarious assortment of pies, the lesser experienced get lost before they even pick up a plate. Needless to say, much pie is consumed, sometimes a la mode, sometimes without the extra scoop of vanilla creaminess. Of course, I always opt for ice cream.
With the three pie-eating events established, along with the pies the youth of our ward made one evening, I shall now compile my list of pies (in alphabetical order) that have passed my lips lately:
1.     apple (2 varieties)
2.     banana cream
3.     blueberry cheesecake (Yes, I know, it’s technically not pie, but who cares?)
4.     cherry (2 varieties)
5.     chocolate (2 varieties)
6.     chocolate peanut butter
7.     coconut cream
8.     lemon
9.     Oreo
10.  pecan (2 varieties)
11.  pumpkin (4 varieties)
12.  strawberry
13.  turtle
and…German chocolate cake for my birthday. (Again, it’s not pie, but it’s tradition!)

            Before I go too much longer, I have to say that my favorite pie this year, because it just hit the spot, and because it was scrumptious, was an apple pie made by my wife’s cousin Skyler. Well done, sir. Your pastry satisfied my multifarious needs in an excellent pie.
            And on a side note, since I looked up this word, I have used it in multifarious situations, even though it may not have fit perfectly. I’m having multifarious meaningful interaction with my new word.

P.S. I’m not including any pictures today because I don’t want to be responsible for you shorting out your device from all your drool.

P.P.S. If you want to post some of your own pictures of pie in the comments, I'll allow it.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I think I'll post a little writing every so often...some polished...some rough. And I welcome any comments or criticisms or cupcakes you care to throw my way.