11 November 2011

Yep. I'm a Slacker...Sort Of.

I know it's been a while since I've posted anything on here, but it's also been a long time since anyone read this either, so nanny-nanny-boo-boo! No one even tried writing a zombie haiku for me. That's okay. The contest here had much higher quality than the year before even though not quite as many students participated. Maybe they were too bust fleeing from the undead hordes to stop and encapsulate their experiences in seventeen syllables.

Lately, I have also been "writing" research papers.

Enough said about that. The project that I am currently enjoying and stressing over and falling behind in is my first ever attempt at the NaNoWriMo challenge. I'm trying to write a 50,000 word novel during the month of November. I'm having my 9th graders honors classes do it as well, although I let them set their own goals. I must say that for the most part I have been impressed with this group. Nobody transferred out. Then again, I kind of broadsided them with the project only a few weeks before we actually started the typing.

Anyway, if any of you have any suggestions for complicating a sixteen-year-old boy's high school social life, I'd love to hear from you.

So, there. That's why I haven't posted lately. I'm a slacker.

P.S. I also didn't celebrate the National Day on Writing. Some idiot thought it was a good idea to have Fall Break on that day. So happy belated Day on Writing. You should all go celebrate or join me in my NaNoWriMo endeavor.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great. FYI- My old roomie from BYU wins that thing every year, at least that what she says on her blog. :) Her blog is linked to mine and is called "Duck, Duck, Cow" (in case you want to peek at your competition). Happy writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What does the boy like? Does his dad like hunting and take him on a hunting trip the day of a big dance that he asked a girl to and she said yes and now he can't go? Is his best friend super weird? (thought that's a bit cliche) Does the girl like his older brother? It seems like the most complicated part of a boys social life is the girls...do best friends fight over him? worst enemies? Does the popular girl shun him? Does he go to NYC with his sports team and fall in love with a girl on the subway? Oh, to be a teenager! Now get writing! (like I should be doing...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to say you could have the 16 year old boy get a kidney transplant, but I swear it has actually helped his social life.

    ReplyDelete

I think I'll post a little writing every so often...some polished...some rough. And I welcome any comments or criticisms or cupcakes you care to throw my way.