26 August 2015

By Request...

Grilled. Stuffed. Zucchini.


Even though my kids fear it, and Amy is extremely picky about her zucchini recipes, this is one of my favorites. It originated from one of Wells and Jones's Best Bites cookbooks (I don't remember which one), but like I usually do, I have embellished it.

1. Take a zucchini--I prefer monster-sized vegetables--the kind that give most kids nightmares. Slice it lengthwise.

2. Scoop out the insides, leaving about 1/4" around the edge. Take the non-seed parts and dice them; set them to the side for later. Pitch the seeds. Really. Get rid of them.

3. Coat the inside of the zucchini canoes with olive oil, salt, and black pepper. Try some cayenne for a little kick!

4. Brown a pound of Italian sausage. The original recipe only calls for 4 oz., but...um...well...you know.

5. Add diced red onion (I usually add 1/2 a cup.) and 2 diced cloves of garlic.

6. Place the zucchini (hollow-side down) on a medium flame on your grill.

7. While the zucchini is on, add the diced zucchini innards and 1-2 fresh diced tomatoes to your meat and onion mix. Dash it with additional salt and/or black pepper.

8. Add 1 cup of shredded cheese and 1/2 a cup of seasoned bread crumbs. Regular bread crumbs will suffice, but add more Italian seasonings (your preference) if you go that route. Mix nicely.

8a. Other toppings such as mushrooms, shredded carrots, bacon bits, olives, spicy peppery goodness, etc. can also get tossed in.

9. After about 5-10 minutes on the grill (depending on the size of the green boat-like veggie thing and how soft you want it), remove the zucchini and stuff with the mix.

10. Top with additional bread crumbs and cheese. Throw it back on the grill for another few minutes until the extra cheese melts.

11. Enjoy!

12. Look for an occasion to make again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I think I'll post a little writing every so often...some polished...some rough. And I welcome any comments or criticisms or cupcakes you care to throw my way.