22 April 2015

A Poem or Something

Now that it is National Poetry Month, I should probably write a poem or something. But my first item is business is to remind you that this coming Thursday, April 30, 2015, we will be celebrating Poem in Your Pocket Day. If you aren't sure what that entails, check THIS LINK or THIS ONE or even THIS ONE.

Now the story about this new poem. Yesterday, during our class poetry slam in 5th period, I spouted the phrase "I don't throw points around like confetti" in response to a student comment regarding how few points I assign projects in relation to another teacher. I stopped, and a rather astute student saw my hesitation and quickly quipped, "Mr. Anson, you better write that down. That was some good word choice."

She was right, so I wrote it down. During 6th period I scratched out some notes. During 7th I wrote a rough draft. Today during passing periods I touched it up a little. I'm not completely satisfied, but I have been persuaded by those who have read it to share it as it is. Just know that it is still a rough draft.

“To the Student Asking If He Can Improve His Grade Two Days After Report Cards Have Been Mailed Home”

No,
you can’t
have extra
credit to supplant
the work
you never pretended
to care about
until judgment day
came
and sentence was
passed.

The fruits of your
incubated inattentiveness
and insistent procrastination
have matured,
and it’s time to harvest.

A crossword puzzle?
to replace
the argumentative essay
we spent four
weeks constructing in class,
you ask?

Are you serious?
Or do you struggle
in math, too?

I don’t toss
around points like
confetti;
class is not a party—
show up to be entertained;
it’s not Oprah—
you’re not going home
with an A,
or even a B,
just because you woke up
long enough for roll call.

No ice cream,
no presents,
no participation trophy
grades are awarded
for simply showing up
and depleting
the oxygen supply of my classroom;

no cake,
no microscopic cookie crumbs
fall to anyone
but the red hens who know
that life
will not be served
on a silver platter, or even a plastic tray
from the dollar store,
and who are willing
to scratch
and sow
and sweat
and tend
and reap
and create a future for
themselves.


2 comments:

  1. LOVE! It has a certain Billy collins vibe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toni, that made my day. Billy Collins is my poetic hero!

      Delete

I think I'll post a little writing every so often...some polished...some rough. And I welcome any comments or criticisms or cupcakes you care to throw my way.